I just took a test to see if I have Pyroluria. The test measures my kryptopyrrole activity in my urine.
Your WHAT? Never heard of it? Yea, I hadn’t either.
It wasn’t until I took my certification course in Addiction & Recovery Nutrition did I learn about this collection of symptoms, called Pyroluria. Below is a collection of symptoms & questionnaire to figure out if you have Pyroluria.
Basically, pyroluria occurs when the pyrroles bind to pyroxidine (vitamin B6) and zinc, causing these vital nutrients to be excreted from the body in large amounts. Because of this, you become extremely deficient in B6 and Zinc, which causes a whole host of symptoms including anxiety & depression.
It is a genetic metabolic condition, so it also runs in families.
If you have Pyroluria, it’s not the end of the world. In fact, if you have it, it may explain a lot of your symptoms! You just need to increase your amounts of B6 and Zinc compared to others. It’s relatively easy to manage symptoms once you know you have it… it’s just that not many people know they have it. So why not get tested!
What if some people out there are suffering from anxiety and depression and the cause is Pyroluria? From the Primal Body, Primal Mind website: “As many as 50% of those with autism, 40% of alcoholics, 70% of schizophrenics, 70% of persons with depression and 30% of persons struggling with ADD may have pyroluria underlying these conditions and make them very difficult to reach with traditional and even holistic therapies.” … “With appropriate supplementation and stress management mild cases of pyroluria tend to respond quickly. More severe cases tend to experience gradual and incremental improvement over a period of several months.”
A simple urine test can determine if you have this genetic disorder. It’s my goal to spread the word about Pyroluria (even if I don’t have it) because it could truly change your life if you figure out it’s the root cause of some of your symptoms.
Here is a link to the Pyroluria questionnaire. It’s worth seeing if you have some of these symptoms and since the test is relatively cheap, you might as well get tested even if you don’t score a 15 or higher. If you have any of these symptoms, why not get tested to rule it out?
I paid $82 for my test by working with another NTP. You can work with a qualified practitioner to order the test and it should cost about that much (maybe a little higher). The test I took was through DHA laboratory.
From Trudy Scott’s Website:
Most Common Signs and Symptoms
1. Being anxious, shy, or fearful or experiencing inner tension since childhood, but hiding these feelings from others
2. Having bouts of depression or nervous exhaustion
3. Poor dream recall, stressful or bizarre dreams, or nightmares (low vitamin B6)
4. Excessive reactions to tranquilizers, barbiturates, alcohol, or other drugs, in which a little produces a powerful response (low vitamin B6)
5. Preferring not to eat breakfast, experiencing light nausea in the morning, or being prone to motion sickness (low vitamin B6)
6. White spots or flecks on the fingernails or opaquely white or paper-thin nails (low zinc)
7. Liquid zinc sulfate having a mild taste or tasting like water (low zinc)
8. Poor appetite or having a poor sense of smell or taste (low zinc)
9. Joints popping, cracking, or aching; pain or discomfort between the shoulder blades; or cartilage problems (low zinc)
10. Pale or fair skin or being the palest in the family, or sunburning easily, now or when younger
11. Disliking protein or having ever been a vegetarian or vegan
12. Being sensitive to bright sunlight or noise
13. Upper abdominal pain on your left side under the ribs or, as a child, having a stitch in your side as you ran
14. Frequent fatigue
15. Being prone to iron anemia or low ferritin levels
16. Tending to have cold hands or feet
17. Having frequent colds or infections, or unexplained chills or fever
18. Reaching puberty later than normal or having irregular menstruation or PMS
19. Having allergies, adrenal issues, or problems with sugar metabolism
20. Having gluten sensitivity
21. Neurotransmitter imbalances, especially low serotonin
22. For women, belonging to an all-girl family or having look-alike sisters
23. For men, having a mother from an all-girl family or a mother with look-alike sisters, or all the females in the mother’s family bearing a strong resemblance to each other
24. Avoiding stress because it upsets your emotional balance
25. Tending to become dependent on one person whom you build your life around
26. Preferring the company of one or two close friends rather than a gathering of friends; becoming more of a loner as you age
27. Feeling uncomfortable with strangers
28. Being bothered by being seated in the middle of the room in a restaurant
29. Being easily upset by criticism
Less Common Signs and Symptoms
30. Stretch marks or poor wound healing (low zinc)
31. Crowded upper front teeth, many cavities, or inflamed gums or wearing braces (low zinc)
32. Bad breath and body odor (or a sweet, fruity odor), especially when ill or stressed (low zinc)
33. Being prone to acne, eczema, herpes, or psoriasis
34. Reduced amount of hair on your head, eyebrows, or eyelashes, or prematurely gray hair
35. Difficulty recalling past events and people in your life
36. Focusing internally, on yourself, rather than on the external world
37. Tending to have morning constipation
38. Tingling sensations or muscle spasms in your legs or arms
39. Feeling stressed by changes in your routine, such as traveling or being in new situations
40. Your face looking swollen when you’re under a lot of stress
41. Cluster headaches or blinding headaches
42. One or more of the following: a psychiatric disorder, schizophrenia, high or low histamine, alcoholism, learning and behavioral disorders, autism, or Down syndrome
If you check off 15 or more items, especially the more common ones, it’s highly probable that you have pyroluria and will benefit from taking zinc and vitamin B6 supplements. I encourage you to be tested, but if this isn’t possible, or even if you don’t have pyroluria, supplementing with zinc and vitamin B6 may be worthwhile if you have a large number of these symptoms.